What's happening at Withinfields?
Out of School Club - Many of the children in Out of School Club designed a tile to give to the important men in their lives on Fathers' Day to use as a coaster. We would like to thank Mr Gill from Dickies Tiles for donating the tiles to us.
Nursery Frog Topic - Nursery have been 'jumping into summer' making their very own frogs. They used a range of skills that they have been developing over the year such as cutting, sticking and painting which challenged them but they really enjoyed themselves. They found out all about frogs: where they live, how they turn from tadpoles into frogs and what they eat. Did you know that frogs drink water through a patch on their belly and absorb the water? This was Nursery's favourite fact about frogs!
Year 5 Reading Superstars - Two of our Year 5 boys have reached the amazing achievement of reading more than 2 million words this school year. Thomas and Henry were therefore treated to a visit to The Thoughtful Spot Children's bookshop with a chosen friend each where they all chose a book. The bookshop owner was incredibly impressed with the group and described them as 'an utter joy'! Well done, Thomas and Henry!
Year 2 Sandwich design - Year 2 have been busy designing and making sandwiches. They collected and presented data about favourite fillings and types of bread before designing their own healthy sandwich for Paddington Bear. They practised the skills of chopping, peeling, slicing and grating before independently making and testing their own sandwich design. Upon evaluation, some realised blueberries and cheese really don't go well together in a sandwich!
Year 6 Better Futures - The Y6 children spent Tuesday working with Michelle Hogan from Own Futures. They spent time thinking about possible careers and how to achieve their goals. The aim of the session was to ensure that our children finished their primary school career with high expectations for themselves as they move on. They provided some lovely feedback at the end of the session. These are some highlights:
What have you enjoyed about the day?
- I enjoyed doing something different- it makes you think what you want to do in the future
- I liked having a look at all the career choices
- I liked this lesson because it was really fun and we got to express ourselves
- I could actually share myself and what I want to do
- You learn more about yourself
- Now I know what to do in my job
- I have noticed that I have a lot of qualities that match my future job
- The tree made me realise I had a lot more qualities than I thought
- The skills line made me think I have some skills
- I enjoyed looking at the things I am good at rather than what I’m not
- Made me reflect on how good I actually am at things
What have you learnt?
- That we are going to have to do applications and it might be hard
- Need to include our skills and strengths in our applications
- All the different jobs that I didn’t know existed before
- That jobs I never knew existed, did exist
- We all have qualities
- That you can get any job if you put your mind to it
- A lot of jobs are going to die out over time
- Never give up on yourself
- If you are focusing on a job that isn’t likely to happen, have a back up plan
Any other comments?
- I’m glad that I have a new dream job
- I’m excited for my future
- This lesson makes me happy because it focuses more on your positives than the negatives
- It’s not all about the money
- Made me think of other jobs I could have
- The lesson made me realise that I can do my dream job
Wildlife Area time - Each year group has a timetabled session in the wildlife area each week. This is time to explore, have adventures and socialise with their peers following all the time spent in lockdown in the last year. Here are some photographs of the children enjoying their time in the wildlife area.
Intra-School Sports - As the children cannot compete against other schools at the moment, we have decided to hold our own competitive sports events with classes competing against each other during this summer term. The first week, each class chose a Boccia team to compete and the winning classes earned 10 points for their clan. Here are some photos from Y3 during the second week when classes chose a cricket team to compete.
Newsletters9th July 2021
2nd July 2021
25th June 2021
18th June 2021
11th June 2021 - SEND spotlight, Transition support, Breakfast support
28th May 2021 - Homework, Sports Clubs available locally
21st May 2021 - School Council Results and Y6 bus pass information
14th May 2021 - Restrictions, Y6 Leavers' Party and School Uniform reminders
7th May 2021 - Book Fair, SEN reviews and School Nursing Team visit
30th April 2021 - Book fair, Swimming, Intra-School Sports, Admissions
23rd April 2021 - Homework, Clubs, Parents' Evening and Plugging the Gaps Day
26th March 2021 - Easter events, General reminders, Parents' Evening, Extra-curricular activities
19th March 2021 - Comic Relief celebrations, Remote Education Quality Assurance, Children's Mental Health
12th March 2021 - Class photos, Comic Relief plans
5th March 2021 - PE Sports Photos, World Book Day, Reopening information